USGBC Central Texas-Balcones is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that depends upon the help and dedication of its volunteers. They help us achieve our mission by providing valuable outreach and implementing our educational programs. The number one way to help is by becoming a Chapter member – if you are already a member, thank you!
GET INVOLVED! Volunteer Opportunities for 2014
[Contact the Executive Director for more details and to sign up for any of these jobs]
- Professionals in the design-build industry to help identify focal issues for the chapter’s 2015 legislative agenda; to plan our 2015 Advocacy Day at the capitol; and to represent the USGBC Central Texas Chapter in law-maker meetings, expert testimony and other constituent activity in the 2015 Texas legislative session.
- Chairperson and volunteers with communications experience willing to help create our message and promotional strategy for a new green building campaign and potential awards program
- Professionals in the design-build industry willing to help identify and meet monthly with city and state decision makers, developers and others to raise awareness of sustainable building and land use principles.
- Chairperson, responsible for directing the scope of the committee and managing E&E volunteers
- Monthly Meeting Sponsorship Coordinator, responsible for identifying aligned corporate sponsors for meeting topics in Austin and San Antonio
- Building Tour Coordinators in Austin and San Antonio, responsible for organizing quarterly tours of LEED-certified buildings (in alternating cities)
- General volunteers to help with event logistics, set-up and follow-up
- Judges to evaluate Green School Challenge project presentations in late March/early April
- Mentors for the 2014-2015 school year Green School Challenge, responsible for delivering our modified EcoSchools curriculum in elementary schools and helping student green teams audit their school and choose a project to complete that reduces energy use, water consumption or waste.
- Individuals with sales and marketing experience to help build our database of qualified listing companies in the Directory
- Individuals with communications expertise to help with user and promotional partner engagement strategies that strengthen the directory’s user base and meet our collaboration goals
- Back-end administrative support for the directory software application
By becoming a Chapter volunteer, not only do individuals help drive our mission of accelerating the adoption of sustainable building and land development practices in Central and South Texas, but they can benefit from meeting and working alongside respected and well-known professionals in the regional green building industry. In addition, volunteers can advance their own knowledge base about green building and sustainable land development practices via the numerous educational programs, building tours/mixers, lectures, symposiums and other special events which require volunteer committee help.
Internships are available with the USGBC Central Texas to support Chapter staff as well as volunteer committees. While the positions are unpaid, every effort is made to ensure that each intern completes a project or projects that can be used to further their education. Learn more.